Sunday 5 January 2014

Those That Can, Should

    
     
     I want to address a comment which appeared on a Facebook post very recently. To wit "Photographic eye falls to peer pressure" Frankly I don't understand the comment. I asked for clarification of it in the comment list  which accompanied the post but, it seems none was forthcoming. Therefore I am left to respond to the comment with what I can only offer as conjecture as to it's meaning.

    To begin with. I don't profess to have a "photographic eye". I do have an eye. Two of them in fact, and perhaps some modest skill with a camera. I take pleasure in presenting what I believe to be the beauty and unique appeal of whatever aspect of life on this planet confronts me. I tend to not photograph the ugly or negative aspects of life. There is enough negativity and ugliness available on the newsfeeds of almost any media source in this "age of communication". I feel no compulsion to add to it.
  
     Furthermore, in regards to "peer pressure", In all honesty, I don't really feel any. I associate with many practitioners of the creative arts. In regards to photography, many of them posses vision, skills and equipment which are far superior to mine. There are also those who are only beginning their creative journey with whatever skills and wherewithal they command. I choose to exist in happy celebration of almost any and  all creative effort. If I can learn from those whose vision and capabilities are superior to mine, I will endeavour to do so in an effort to improve my own offerings. If anyone asks me for help or advice, I will happily share what knowledge and skills I have in as constructive a manner as  possible. I admire the imagery of many. I do admit to being a bit envious of those who present really brilliant work, but I try to channel those feelings into a positive effort to improve my own stuff. No peer pressure.They do what they do and I do what I do and maybe somewhere along the line we can learn something from one another. I have found that with some innate curiosity, and a willingness to share, I can exist in the midst of a  great big  creative family of humans who delight in presenting their perceptions of the beautiful world  we all share. 

     Maybe all of this is a bit too much of an overly optimistic view  of the creative experience in  the 21st century. Perhaps. But the alternative is a bleak one. There are the cynics who say that no one's life is as idyllic or great as they portray it on Facebook or other social media platforms and that is probably true in most cases. However if the best we can do is question the motives of anyone sharing anything in public media, then we might as well shut down the whole system. If individuals cannot share that which they find beautiful, interesting or meaningful then the whole concept of social media is a moot point. We might as well return to an existence of self centred survivalism  where only a select few are trusted to view the etchings scratched on the cave wall.

     It is far too easy to retreat and not participate or contribute to the life which exists around us. It is too easy to be critical or cynical without making any positive contribution to the Great All That Is. I don't profess to being a brilliant photographer, but people seem to like the images I share. I don't profess to being a great writer but people seem to enjoy my musings in this blog. If I can even marginally alter someone's perception of the world in a positive way, my limited  offerings are not wasted. If I feel any peer pressure at all it is to contribute something positive in the meanderings of my existence. To that end, what little peer pressure I may feel does not diminish my photographer's eye, (if I have such a thing). It enhances it.

                                                              ...more later

          

     

           
     
    

     

    

1 comment:

  1. Last paragraph (cynicism) bang on and gave me some hope. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete