Sunday 4 November 2012

Update No. 1


     Ok, I guess that it's been a while since I punched up anything here. Of late I have been suffering from a seemingly endless ennui where any type of writing is concerned. Perhaps it is generated by self doubt. I don' t want to sound whiny,  but I can't help but wonder if the words I punch up on this blog have any meaning or value to anyone other than myself. Of late I find it much easier to make some digital photographs and with a modicum of editing, present them to my online friends.  If a picture is truly worth a thousand words, a camera is the ultimate labour saving device for one who has a proclivity towards both the visual as well as the written arts. That being said, I suppose that I really should buckle down and produce something on this web page that may be of mild interest to someone, even if only to myself.

     What I propose to do is provide some updates to previous blog entries. So without further ado...

     In February of this year, I wrote a piece " For The Love Of Trains". It was about a childhood train trip I took with my Father who, as an employee of the railway, was working in the baggage car on that trip. At the end of that piece I wrote a bit about continuing the railway tradition with some rail trips I've taken with my son.

     This past summer was a good one in terms of rail excursions. We took two of them. One was aboard The Credit Valley Explorer. This an interesting little train that runs out of Orangeville, Ont. through the beautiful scenery of The Credit River Valley. It was a beautiful way to spend the afternoon and, during our stopover at Inglewood, Ont., I got to climb into the cab of the engine and relive a few memories. 





    

    




Greg aboard the Credit Valley Explorer
  


View from the cab, Credit Valley Explorer
 

The Credit Valley Explorer (only one coach long), Inglewood, Ont. Aug2012
       The day before our trip on the Credit Valley Explorer, we enjoyed a short excursion aboard a train on the South Simcoe Railway. Of all the excursion trains we have ridden, I have to say that I like the S.S.R. the best. Last year, during our summer adventure, we rode the train there for the first time. In planning our travels for this summer, I noted that the village of Tottenham is not far from the town of Orangeville, Ont. and, as the fare for the S.S.R. run is quite
reasonable,  ( It's a short trip of less than one hour) I decided to make a return visit.

     The South Simcoe Railway is a short excursion railway that runs out of the village of Tottenham, Ont. If you are looking for magnificent scenery, the S.S.R. will probably be a disappointment. The scenery is bucolic and pleasant but far from spectacular. However, if you are a train nut like me, the S.S.R. is a little slice of heaven. The station is situated within walking distance of a very nice conservation area that offers comfortable camping and swimming. The railway operates carefully restored vintage equipment and is one of the few railways that operates steam locomotives. On our first visit, last year, we got to ride behind no.136, a Rogers 4-4-0 built in Paterson, N.J. in 1883 for the Canadian Pacific Railway. S.S.R. no. 136 is one of the oldest operating steam engines in the world. She is a beauty.

South Simcoe Railway Steam Train, Tottenham, Ont. Aug.2011

Greg riding the S.S.R.


S.S.R. heavyweight coach "Beeton", Tottenham, Ont. Aug. 2012
      The coaches that the S.S.R. runs are heavyweight steel beasts that run on three axle trucks. Built in the 1920's, they are the real deal. No fancy seating and carpeted floors here. Air conditioning consists of sliding open a window and propping it up with a stick secured to the window sill by a short chain. There is the hint of some luxury with the beautiful wood trim and vintage glass lighting fixtures and, with their heavy steel construction riding on six wheels at each end of the car, they ride as smooth as the day they were built. This a real railway experience. Through the open windows you really hear the clickety-clack of steel wheels on rail. There is a slight breeze blowing through the window tinged with the smells of coal smoke and piped steam. And,  when she blows for the grade crossings, well to my ear, it is a note that would put any operatic contralto to shame.

     All my life's a circle. ( actually circles within circles connecting to other circles) Our 2011 trip aboard the S.S.R. completed a circle for me. The only other time I had ridden a steam powered train was with my sister and my Dad. He was the conductor on a steam powered train running excursions on the Ontario Northland Railway for the Cobalt Miner's Festival. There's a story there that I'll save for a future post. I guess that it's kind of a continuation of the legacy that I did a steam train trip with Greg. Curiously enough, the locomotive number on the steam train that I rode with my father was 137. On the S.S.R., Greg and I rode behind no. 136.

     This year, on the S.S.R. we got to ride in the baggage car. (completing yet another circle)
When I purchased our tickets for the train I noticed that they were for seats in the coach. Looking at the train, I saw that it featured a combine car. ( combination coach/baggage) I asked the ticket agent if we could exchange our tickets to ride in that car. She replied that she couldn't do it but if we asked the conductor, he might let us ride there. I approached the conductor on the platform and he agreed to let us ride in the baggage combine. All he asked was that we remind him at boarding time.

     When boarding time came, we didn't need to remind him. He told us to turn left at the top of the steps. All the other passengers were turning right for conventional coach seating. As the train pulled out of the station we found that we had the entire car to ourselves simply because we were the only ones who asked! It was pretty cool.

     Unlike last year, we didn't get to ride behind the steam engine. Steam engines are notoriously maintenance needy and the S.S.R. only runs them on the weekends. Our trip this year was on a Tuesday. Our power for this trip was a vintage diesel.  S.S.R. no. 703 is a GE 70 tonner built in 1948 in Erie, PA.  She doesn't have the panache of 136, but hauled our little train without a problem. Not bad for a little industrial engine after 64 years of hard use. The baggage combine was pretty cool. Combines were once fairly common cars often used in branch line service. They were versatile units (half baggage car, half coach) that were often tacked to the ends of local freight trains to provide passenger service to smaller communities. As such they often doubled as a caboose for the crew and carried spare parts and equipment for emergency repairs en route. They also carried their own heating system since their service at the end of  local freights precluded  access to the locomotive's steam heating piping.

     This combine car was kept true to its original form with the exception of some benches added to the baggage area for additional seating in excursion train service. It still had it's coal fired stove for heating. It still had a rack holding air brake hoses and electrical connection cables for emergency use. It even had rails still in place for holding mail bags although  railways haven't carried the mail for decades. Altogether a very interesting ride. We rode out in the baggage section but took seats in the passenger section for a more comfortable ride back.  


The official "pose with the train" photo, Greg and Dad with S.S.R. 703
Tottenham, Ont. Aug. 2012

S.S.R. Combine Car no.321 "New Tecumseth" Tottenham, Ont. Aug. 2012



Ridin' in the baggage car. South Simcoe Railway, Aug. 2012
 
 

The passenger section, S.S.R. Combine Car No.321 "New Tecumseth" We really did have the whole car to ourselves!
      

   
            Ok. I've probably given you more information about trains and railways than you could possibly want or need. I did however, want to post this piece as something of a follow up to my earlier one. Life goes on and no incident or anecdote exists in isolation. However, I promise that my next update will be a tad more concise.... or I  might just post a picture.

                                                      ...more later
    

No comments:

Post a Comment